Case insensitivity

Quinn Dunkan quinn at hork.ugcs.caltech.edu
Fri Jul 27 05:56:32 EDT 2001

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001 08:19:46 GMT, Courageous <jkraska1 at san.rr.com> wrote:

>>>Because when identifier and someone else writes IdEnTIFIER, I want
>>>to kill them Actually, I'd like to kill them for changing the case at all.
>>
>>But if the language is the same, their editor would warn them about the case
>>mismatch, and the code would crash, just like yours would.  It would be just
>>like your editor, only yours won't warn about those things.
>
>Oh right. Just _my_ editor. Right. Isolated little ole me, I'm the only small
>sole in the whole wide world who wants to use vim. You're just not getting
>this, I can tell.

I suspect we're talking past each other because I can't make any sense out of
that.  Is your sarcasm implying that many people use vim (certainly true,
given its mainstream status (I've used it since 1.0 on the amiga, BTW))?  Or
are you saying that most people's editors won't warn about case mismatches
(also certainly true)?  If so, I'm confused because neither have any
relevance.  Even if every single person in the world used the hypothetical
magic case warning editor, how could you even know they did (if they didn't
tell you)?

For all you know, everyone else in the world currently uses an editor that
disallows identifiers beginning with 'q'.  How is this different from everyone
(or 3 people) using an editor that warns against 'foo' and 'Foo' in the same
module?  Could you explain how this could inconvenience you, or how you could
even figure out what editor someone else used to write their code?