Case insensitivity

Andrei Kulakov sill at optonline.net
Fri Jul 27 13:55:57 EDT 2001

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001 08:19:46 GMT, Courageous <jkraska1 at san.rr.com> wrote:

>>>Because when identifier and someone else writes IdEnTIFIER, I want
>>>to kill them Actually, I'd like to kill them for changing the case at all.
>>
>>But if the language is the same, their editor would warn them about the case
>>mismatch, and the code would crash, just like yours would.  It would be just
>>like your editor, only yours won't warn about those things.
>
> Oh right. Just _my_ editor. Right. Isolated little ole me, I'm the only small
> sole in the whole wide world who wants to use vim. You're just not getting
> this, I can tell.
>
> C//

I think the misunderstanding here is that you think you'll see code like

identifier = 0
Identifier = 5
do_stuff(IdenTifier)

in your vim or emacs or notepad or whatever.

If I understood this proposal right, you won't.

One possibility, for instance, is that *their* user friendly editor will
auto-change case of a variable when typed to the first used case..

i.e. you type identifier = 0; Identifier = 5

Just as you finished writing Identifier, it turns into identifier.

Another possibility would be that it doesn't change it on screen, but changes
it when it's written to a disk. OR it could merely display a warning, saying
that this identifier was spelled differently, but it's the same thing..

In any case, you won't see any difference at all, *except* that when you're
looking at their code, there won't any variables that only differ in case.

get it at: http://silmarill.org/cymbaline