Python and DB support (was: Re: Is Python Dead?)

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 3 04:18:59 EDT 2001

"Roman Suzi" <rnd at onego.ru> wrote in message
> On 2 Jul 2001, David Bolen wrote:
>
> >Roman Suzi <rnd at onego.ru> writes:
> >
> >> However, my collegues were not satisfied with it. One somplain was that
in
> >> ASP/IIS it is "very easy" to receive a "recordset" from database and
then
> >> apply it in different situations in the ASP-page, because recordset is
an
> >> object and even subqueries could be made without quering DB again.
> >
> >Just curious, but did your colleagues try using Python's COM interface
> >to ADO to retrieve an actual recordset object that they could
> >manipulate the same in Python as in other ASP languages?
>
> Aha! Now I could understand what is the brake of Python library
> development. Most of Python users are Windows users. And they
> have COM for whatever is in their system.

I strongly doubt that "most Python users are Windows users", but
it's certainly true that most Python users *WHO CONSIDER ASP/IIS
AN ALTERNATIVE* are Windows users (and pretty-clueless ones, if
they don't know Python can work perfectly well WITHIN ASP/IIS!-).

> We mostly have Linux servers, so COM+ADO is no option. The point was not
> to choose between Windows and Linux, ASP was choosen to serve particular
> purpose, for the database already implemented in Microsoft land.

If COM+ADO is not an option then neither is ASP/IIS!

Alex