Python and DB support (was: Re: Is Python Dead?)

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Tue Jul 3 06:11:36 EDT 2001

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Alex Martelli wrote:

>"Roman Suzi" <rnd at onego.ru> wrote in message
>news:mailman.994135925.11224.python-list at python.org...

>in
>then
>an
>> >
>> >Just curious, but did your colleagues try using Python's COM interface
>> >to ADO to retrieve an actual recordset object that they could
>> >manipulate the same in Python as in other ASP languages?
>>
>> Aha! Now I could understand what is the brake of Python library
>> development. Most of Python users are Windows users. And they
>> have COM for whatever is in their system.
>
>I strongly doubt that "most Python users are Windows users", but
>it's certainly true that most Python users *WHO CONSIDER ASP/IIS
>AN ALTERNATIVE* are Windows users (and pretty-clueless ones, if
>they don't know Python can work perfectly well WITHIN ASP/IIS!-).

Ok, I've not pushed the issue because people wanted to learn
ASP.

>> We mostly have Linux servers, so COM+ADO is no option. The point was not
>> to choose between Windows and Linux, ASP was choosen to serve particular
>> purpose, for the database already implemented in Microsoft land.
>
>If COM+ADO is not an option then neither is ASP/IIS!

I am sorry that I gave inaccurate description.
There were no point in installing Python just to serve 3-4
pages from IIS.

*

Anyway, I wanted to say that some generic (!=Windows only) ADO
could help for those who consider Python for tasks usually
done with PHP or ASP.

Probably it could be coupled with gadfly to make
subqueries possible.

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd at onego.ru _/
_/ Tuesday, July 03, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/