Language Niches (long)

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Jul 29 19:37:18 EDT 2001

In message <HBEJKOJGHBOIBHLHPMKGGEEPDKAA.rcalco at cortechs.com>, Bob Calco
<rcalco at cortechs.com> writes

I hesitated to mention ADA as it is (so far as I'm aware) the only
computer programming language to have won a standardized selection
process. It has been an utter failure outside the DOD despite the fact
that it does indeed have a dedicated following.

I think many CS people would now say that ADA is an awful language, but
I'm uncertain exactly why. I felt at the time that it had far too many
keywords and was a bit too complete.

I think what I'm trying to say is that ADA is too complex at the
lexical/syntax side of things. I know that you can do nice
floating/fixed point things with ADA, but those anti-missile missiles
still seem to miss so perhaps the added complexity doesn't really work.
--
Robin Becker