Typing system vs. Java

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Sat Jul 28 09:32:03 EDT 2001

In article <GKm87.107196$ph7.18077464 at news.hananet.net>,
June Kim <junaftnoon at moc.oohay> wrote:
>First of all, Python's dynamic typing nature can be a definite godsend when
>combined with proper disciplines -- such as UnitTesting,
>TestFirstProgramming
>and RefactorMercilessly from XP. XP is one of the new agile methdologies,
			.
		[excellent references]
			.
			.
>My link is broken, but I believe you can find the forum lead by Rob C.
>Martin
>(aka Uncle Bob) at http://forums.itworld.com/, which discussed about cons
>and
>pros of dynamic typing (mainly on pros) and how to take advantage from it.
are apparently all that's left.  I encourage readers to holler
at ITworld.com for making things so hard to find.

>It might look like a deficiency that Python doesn't have static typing at
>first, as it looked so to me, but you'll see it's rather liberating than
>constraning, moreover, with strong confidence on the code.
Good summary.  Also, Alex Martelli has written eloquently
on the same subject here in clp just within the last year.
			.
			.
			.
I don't think anyone has yet made the point explicitly in
this thread that compile-time validations have been a topic
of interest in Pythonia for quite some time.  Several Con-
ference talks and an entire SIG <URL:
http://www.python.org/sigs/types-sig/ > touch on the subject.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>