Python for air traffic control?

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Tue Jul 3 06:00:40 EDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 07:34:54AM +1000, Peter Milliken wrote:

> Python is a fine language for quick and dirty prototyping. For banging out
> applications that are going to run in an environment where it isn't going to
> matter if the program crashes, but it is certainly not something I would put
> forward for something like Air Traffic Control.

> This is a joke, right?

Nope. The only way to make sure a program works is by testing each and every
line in each and every circumstance, regardless of which programming
language you use. For something like ATC, you *do not* want to rely on
anything else. Using Python would at least allow you to find and fix
problems a lot faster -- you won't be carrying around NULL or undef values
without noticing it.

Do you check the return value of every fprintf()/fclose() function call you
make ? You should!

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>