Another Proposal re- Integer Division

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
Tue Jul 24 09:12:23 EDT 2001

Assuming that the changes in PEP0238 are to come to pass, why
can't we issue "bugfix" releases of 1.5.2, 2.0, and 2.1 that
add only the // operator (just as Guido is doing in the 2.2
source tree) so that those of us who don't want to upgrade
every installation of Python (because we have very many) can
do a much smaller upgrade and then support cross-version
integer division?

Gah.  What a run-on sentence.

Given:  // has never been a valid token before.

Given:  Portable integer division code between 2.2 and 2.4
        will be ugly, i.e.:

            floor(n/2)

        (worse if the expression in the parentheses is
        complicated).

Given:  Upgrading Python on a running system is a pain,
        because you have to find all the extensions you
        are currently using and rebuild or upgrade them
        also.

On platforms like Windows with no good version management,
it would be nice to be able to install, say, 2.1.2, over
2.1.  This shouldn't require any upgrading of modules, but
would add // as an operator so that pure-Python modules
written using // but otherwise not using 2.2+ features
would work fine.

I reuse a lot of my own modules on various customer machines.
This minor change to the older versions would ease my
transition greatly.