Why Johnny Can't Distribute Processing. WAS: Distributed computing using SOAP. What about speed ?

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Fri Jul 27 06:29:24 EDT 2001

Tim Daneliuk <tundra at tundraware.com> wrote in message news:<3B6060C3.A6E69FF5 at tundraware.com>...
> So, here's what we need.  We need a platform-neutral transactional messaging and
> queing service with features like:
>
> 1) Aynchronous APIs to the messaging and queuing manager
> 2) Platform-neutrality: From mainframes to desktops
> 3) Class-Of-Service selection
> 4) Per-event, selectable write through to backing store
> 5) Bindings for C and Java, and also the major scripting langs: Python, TCL, Perl, VBA
> 6) Remote management and recovery capability
> 7) Plugable security and encryption.
>
> There are only two commercial products that come close to this, of which I
> am aware.  BEA bought the rights to the old DEC Message Queue product, but
> I dunno if they're doing anything with it any more.  And IBM, of course,
> has MQ-Series, which has some of the above.

I thought BEA bought up Tuxedo, or is that what the DEC stuff used to be
called. Anyway, you might also want to look at TIB/Rendezvous and
TIB/Rendezvous TX from Tibco (http://www.tibco.com/products/rv/index.html).
JMS from the Sun also tries to address this area but obviously with the
emphasis on Java. Others I can think of which might also be of interest
are Ambrosia from Open Horizon (http://ohi.u1.com) and SmartSockets from
Talarian (http://www.talarian.com). From what I have seen and heard, the
stuff from TIBCO is quite good and probably the only one I would recommend
to anyone.

I guess I identify these product because of having more interest in the
publish/subscribe side of things. Although most things address this as
well as point to point or request/reply semantics these days. The products
mentioned may not all address what you are talking about, I haven't looked
at exactly what they do recently, but they probably do more than what they
did the last time I looked. :-)