Language change and code breaks

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 18:01:54 EDT 2001

"Michael Chermside" <mcherm at destiny.com> wrote in message
> I'm very surprised to hear this. Yes, I've taught lots of beginners, and
> I've found that they often complain about the case sensitivity. But I
> tell them that "Computers are EXTREMELY literal", and "you must be VERY
> precise when programming", and they get it. I also get complaints (not

I guess you're lucky that your beginners don't have a smattering of
Pascal or DOS, or other case-insensitive computers and programming
environments, or they'd challenge your generalization.  Of course you
must be very precise when programming in Pascal, say, but that
precision doesn't have to be artificially extended to case sensitivity.

> Don't encourage sloppy habits: require case sensitivity.

First time I heard that Pascal "encourages sloppy habits" -- with all
the valid criticisms one can level at it, this one seems ridiculous.

Alex