Operator symbol for "nb_intdivide"

Rainer Deyke root at rainerdeyke.com
Thu Jul 26 20:08:36 EDT 2001

"Peter Dobcsanyi" <petrus at pobox.com> wrote in message
news:C0Z77.8508$uM6.1020602 at news1.telusplanet.net...
> "nb_intdivide" and "nb_divide" are very different let's show this
> difference. Among the still free symbols ("?", "@", "$" I guess) I
> would suggest to use "$" for the integer division.

My vote (if I had one): keep '/' for integer division and introduce a new
symbol for floating point division.

Justification:

  - Everybody uses integers, but not everybody uses floats.  Therefore, if
'/' is used for integers, then fewer people will have to change their code.

  - The short and pretty modulus operator should be matched with a short and
pretty integer division operator.

  - It makes floats more difficult for newbies.  This is a good thing, since
floats are dangerous.

--
Rainer Deyke (root at rainerdeyke.com)
Shareware computer games           -           http://rainerdeyke.com