Distributing a Python app

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Thu Jul 19 19:44:56 EDT 2001

Jay Parlar wrote:

> I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to the best way to
> distribute an application written in Python, intended for people who
> don't have Python installed on their machines? Even possibly a
> commercial distrubtion program, if it's the best. I've been playing
> around with py2exe, with not much success (although that's a topic for
> a different day). Assuming I do get py2exe working properly, how would
> everyone suggest we distribute our application? (By the way, this
> application is for Windows machines).

I'm afraid that only Thomas (py2exe), Jack (macPython) and I (Installer)
even think about that stuff. Everyone else distributes Python modules
to people with existing Python installations.

As far as a free Windows installer (for py2exe or Installer), Inno gets
good reviews. I don't know anyone who can stand InstallShield. Wise is
the commercial one most people use.

- Gordon