Python and DB support (was: Re: Is Python Dead?)

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 3 12:05:07 EDT 2001

"Roman Suzi" <rnd at onego.ru> wrote in message
> >http://phplib.netuse.de/documentation/documentation-3.html#ss3.1
> >After studying that page a bit, unless I'm missing something,
> >it appears to me that this interface is *VASTLY* inferior to
> >the Python DB API.
>
> I do not believe it. PHP is so widely used with databases
> that I cant believe it's database connectivity is that bad!

As I said, I'm no PHP expert -- I hit on phplib because I
saw it mentioned as the only way to program PHP in such a
way that you won't have to redo everything if you move
from one RDBMS to another, which to me feels like a very
fundamental requirement.  Maybe the typical PHP user cares
not a whit about that and is deliriously happy to program
against Oracle-only, or MySQL-only, or whatever -- I have
not examined the widely different (I'm told) interfaces
you get to use for that, only saw what seemed to me highly
justified SQUEALS of pain by Perl programmers used to the
RDBMS-portability of Perl's DBI at the idea of having to
program against a _specific_ RDBMS and redo everything when
(not if -- life doesn't work that way) the RDBMS that has
to be used changes under them...

Alex