PEP0238 lament

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Jul 24 13:02:52 EDT 2001

In article <Lk377.36960$Cy.4485776 at news1.rdc1.az.home.com>, Tim Hochberg wrote:

>> Another possible step instead of breaking integer division
>> would be to add a warning for any int/float or float/int
>> division, to make it more explicit that the two kinds of
>> division are different and that you need to make up your mind
>> which one you want to do.  Take out all the automagic and make
>> people use explicit casts.
>
>I don't think that's viable. Just issuing warning can break
>plenty of code.

WTF?  We've argued that changing the definition of "/" will
break plenty of code.  Response: "tough shit, bucko, deal with
it. We need this operator to change so that code that hasn't
been written yet will look the way we want it to."

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Well, I'm INVISIBLE
                                  at               AGAIN... I might as well