(no subject)

Keith F Irwin kirwin14 at home.com
Sat Jul 14 13:55:11 EDT 2001

Could you use threads?  I just wrote a program that does something like:

1. start thread to read database between sleep(500)
2. start thread to ping machines listed in database, update global
struct,sleep(300)
3. in forever loop, listen on a socket, if there's a connection, start
thread to handle it (ie, spit out html table of global struct, close
socket)

Not sure if this fits in, but using timed threads can get you out of the
event driven model.  So, have a thread to listen via socket and update
list when data comes in, another thread to print out list when list
changes. You'll have to lock the list while it's being update, which'll
make the list print method wait until it's updated.  Add some sleeps to
slow things down a bit, etc.

Anyway, I'm new to python, and new to socket stuff too, so....

-K