Python for Commercial Games?

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Tue Jul 3 00:26:58 EDT 2001

In article <slrn9k2gib.aqd.kamikaze at kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu>,
Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes <kamikaze at kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu> wrote:
>2 Jul 2001 17:45:57 -0700 in <9hr4k5$peq$1 at panix6.panix.com>,
>Aahz Maruch <aahz at panix.com> spake:
>> In article <slrn9k21pe.aqd.kamikaze at kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu>,
>> Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes <kamikaze at kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>>  I suspect that Infocom-style interactive fiction, with good production
>>>values and nice packaging, could sell again just fine.  You'd have to
>>>sell it outside of most computer game shops, though, because the games
>>>publishing and distribution networks just won't carry it, and the games
>>>magazines won't review it (they're all run by and for hyperactive
>>>adolescent males (of all ages))...
>>
>> ...and genders.  ;-)
>
>  Hah!  When I was writing, I included exactly that clause, but then
>removed it because I couldn't think of any female game designers,
>publishers, or reviewers who trade in the "hyperactive adolescent male"
>genre, except possibly the "booth babes" at game developer's conferences
>(and they're almost universally hired models or non-game-design
>employees) or the female "mascot" at one of the game review mags (that
>specific word was used to describe her by one of the male reviewers...)

Okay, fair enough.  I tracked down one of my favorite reviewers at Games
Domain (http://www.gamesdomain.co.uk/gdreview/), but the closest she
comes to reivewing the "hyperactive adolescent male" genre is Diablo II
and Shogo.

>  I love games design, but I really really despise the games industry.
>Does it show much?

No.  Tell us how you really feel.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                 http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

"I'm not tense, i'm just terribly, terribly alert"  --unknown