GUI Builder for Python ?

D-Man dsh8290 at rit.edu
Mon Jul 2 14:32:30 EDT 2001

On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 11:08:54PM +0000, Carl Fink wrote:
| In article <3l1vjtg9cu1jcr78hdgnchmp8bt53cuhbi at 4ax.com>, Lothar Scholz wrote:
| >
| > Perhaps you have missed that i was asking for an verion > alpha.
| > I think Pythoncard will not be useable for some years.
|
| The current _Linux Journal_ has an article on Glade as a Python GUI
| builder.  It surely looks impressive to me, but I haven't tried it.
| You'd end up with a GTK program (no native Windows/Mac look and feel)
| if that matters to you.

I used glade on Linux (my machine) for a C++ project for school about
a year ago to run on Solaris (the lab).  It was excellent.  If I had
understood how to build a well-designed (modular) app around libglade
I would have used it instead of glade-- (the C++ source
generator/backend ; it had a few issues but nothing that took major
patching of the generated code).

I highly recommend Glade.  IMO learning how to build from the source
is a very good idea to be sure works on windows -- GTK, glade, pygtk,
etc, with the different compilers and linkers there are (ie MSVC++ vs.
mingw vs. gcc and windows vs ld).  I don't know if libglade has been
ported or not.

(PS.  I like GTK's LnF better than MSW anyways :-))

| (I suppose you could use a GTK widget set that looks like WinX or
| Mac?)

Sawfish (a window manager intended for use with GNOME) has an "Aqua"
theme that looks similar to Mac OS X.  (GTK is themeable, BTW)

-D