Large pages using Zope

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Jul 31 20:06:26 EDT 2001

Achim Domma wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just finished the first step : I succeded in introducing Python as our
> prefered scripting language, replacing JScript and VBScript in the future.
> Now we need a way to script webpages with it.

Presumably you are not talking about using Python in the browser?  That's
possible, of course, with IE (which Python can script via ActiveX), but
it requires installing Python on each client machine and therefore is
feasible only on an Intranet.

> I would like to use Zope,

Why?

Are you sure you want to use Zope?  What tasks are you trying
to accomplish for which you believe Zope is the best solution,
and why?  (It sounds like you don't actually know anything
about Zope, except that it is written in Python, but please
correct me if I'm wrong.)

Zope has a fairly steep learning curve, and it may or may
not be the best solution for you.  There _are_ simpler ways
to go, but then again there are also advantages to using Zope.
It all depends on what you really need.

> but I have to answer questions like 'How do we know that
> it's fast/stable enough ?'. Can anybody help ?
> Are there any big references, which are using Zope ?

There are many, including a dozen listed on the page at
http://www.zope.org/Resources/CaseStudies .  Have you
visited zope.org yet?  That might be a good place to
start if you "would like to use Zope"... :-)

(Note: we are using Zope quite successfully in the
company I work for right now.  It is fast enough,
just as Python is, for our needs, and is *very*
stable.  You shouldn't take someone's word for it,
however, as your own needs and standards may vary.
Give it a test drive yourself, if you are interested.)

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com