PEP0238 lament

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Mon Jul 23 22:00:38 EDT 2001

[Tim]
> try-giving-it-a-rest-for-12-hours?-ly y'rs  - tim

[Stephen Horne]
> Sorry - insomnia brought on by anxiety due to the anticipation of
> severe damage to my professional reputation and a lot of unnecessary
> work.

OK, then give it a rest for a whole week.  You may be close to setting a
record for sheer repetition, and I can assure you Guido doesn't have the
time to read 50 copies of the same basic rant -- in reality, you're doing
the best job you possibly could of encouraging him to tune out (he won't,
but I'd be surprised if he didn't skip your posts by now).

> If you had as many cases of "£"+str(Amount/100)+"."+str(amount%100)
> and similar in your code as I do - most of which I don't even know who
> has it or who might have tweaked versions (and I know as an absolute
> fact those warnings will either not be seen at all or will be ignored)
> you'd be just as pissed of as I am.

Pissed off at what?  Nothing has changed.  It's possible nothing will.  It's
certain nothing will for half a year at earliest.  It's being discussed --
or at least *was*, for a little while.

> I trusted Python and I put myself out on a limb advocating it - and
> now that limb is being deliberately broken - and I don't accept that
> the change is such an undeniably great idea in the long term, let
> alone in the here and now. In my position, how would *you* feel.

I'm not prone to getting emotionally involved in tech debates; it's
happened, of course, but it's never been fruitful when it has, and posting
when pissed is right out.

> I just happened to start keeping track of the newsgroup in the last
> couple of days - just in time to see the oncoming disaster,

People have been predicting Python Disaster for a decade.  Is *anything* new
on Usenet <0.7 wink>?

> but apparently too late to do the slightest thing about it.

If you believed that, would you be c.l.py's most-frequent poster over the
last several days?

> How many people like me aren't going to find out until *after*
> everything goes tits up?

Most of them would find out late; whether it would be a disaster depends on
the details that a *few* people have been trying to talk about.