Arg decoding with a template?

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Tue Jul 31 17:30:52 EDT 2001

"Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com> writes:

> "David Bolen" <db3l at fitlinxx.com> wrote in message
> news:ulml5sz7m.fsf at ctwd0143.fitlinxx.com...
> > Dale Strickland-Clark <dale at riverhall.NOSPAMco.uk> writes:
> >
> > > "Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> > >
> Oh no I didn't. Which is to say, the message would make more sense with the
> above attribution deleted, since all (now double-) quoted comments are
> Dale's.

Sorry - my apologies for any mis-attribution - I just took what was in
Dale's posting, although you seem to have added an extra level of > -
my post only had a single > in front of Dale's stuff and nothing in
front of the "Dale ... writes" line.

> There is, of course, a history for both "-" and "/", and in point of fact
> TOPS-10 was using "/" for command switches (as ISTR they were called) before
> Unix was around. Wrote the command line processor for a TOPS-10 SPITBOL
> compiler, and a switch with a value used a colon separator, as in
>
>     sbl /code:sixbit myprog.sbl

Yep, and not only that but with the CCMD JSYS (at least under TOPS-20)
having the CLI handle all command completion and help with ?,
including for options and arguments to options was terrific.  Nicest
CLI for an OS I've ever used, and I still think it's the best
interactive command interface approach.  Somewhat of a drain to
actually construct all the proper tables in code though, but worth it.

Although personally, I still find "-" looks a little nicer on a
command line.

--
-- David