Postgres support

Gerhard Häring gerhard.nospam at bigfoot.de
Tue Jul 3 11:49:28 EDT 2001

Some more random quabble from me ...

On Tue, 03 Jul 2001 08:33:43 -0400, robin at illusionsexeculink.com wrote:
>Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>>You can do one of three things:
>>
>>    * implement it and keep it to yourself
>>    * implement it and release it for others to use/improve
>>    * find someone willing to do it for you for a fee (perhaps a fee of $0)
>
>It would have to be #3 for me, as I am not C proficient. I thought
>that an appeal to this knowledgable group was in order first, and this
>seems to have produced a comprehensive low-level answer by Gerhard.
>
>What is still needed is a high-level perspective on the greater
>problem of providing a Python distribution that is "ready for action"
>across major database and OS platforms.

I am quite happy with the database modules I use. If they have too many bugs or
missing functionality for you, you should tell the maintainers and perhaps use
option #3.

If all you want is a packaged version of Python with database modules included,
this can be done relatively easy. It's mostly a packaging issue. I don't quite
get the point of this, though.

Providing automatic downloading and installation of binary packages is an issue
that is dealt with in the Catalog SIG and others.

I personally want to have RPMs on Linux and for deployment on Windows, I would
create my own custom installer, which isn't all that difficult since py2exe
does most of the job for me.

>I hope someone at python.org or ActiveState or somewhere is aware of
>this need and are working to fill it.

The ActiveState installer on win32 already has the option of installing
MySQLdb. I don't know if they plan to extend this to other platforms and
modules, though.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://highqualdev.com              public key at homepage