Postgres support

Steve Williams stevewilliams at wwc.com
Thu Jul 12 13:53:46 EDT 2001

Paul Boddie wrote:

> Steve Williams <stevewilliams at wwc.com> wrote in message news:<3B4B458C.A0F96E5D at wwc.com>...
> > Paul Boddie wrote:
> >
> [snip]

> I've corrected your quoting here...

Well, that was a cut and paste from a (nicely) working DCOM server. . .

> OK, so you're using paramstyle as 'qmark',

[more snip]

Yes.  Although dictionaries and named parameters might be nice and 'Pythonic', 'qmarks' are a
part of the mental baggage I carry from platform to platform.

[snip]

> I was surprised to see Sybase ASA directly supporting ODBC - going
> against what Mr Wilson was asserting about its death - but, in
> general, I suppose that the greater the number of layers between one's
> application and the database system, the greater the risk for
> something to fail in obscure ways.

I live in eternal fear of 'Function Sequence Error'.

> In the case of Sybase ASA, I found
> things to be more reliable if I linked mxODBC directly to the library
> provided, rather than through the iODBC driver manager.

If only I had the ability on AIX. . .

> > In general, I don't see much emphasis on relational databases in the Python
> > jungle.
>
> I think that it only appears that way because of the low traffic on
> the DB-SIG list and because there isn't any other focal point for
> database-related activity.
>
> Paul

To contribute software to the database community, one must have a machine; cooperating
sysadmins and dbadmins; database software, documentation and libraries; a compiler; machine and
personal time; development experience and database experience.  The lack of any one of these
can prove fatal.

For Wintel or Linux and for FSF/Open Source databases such as mySQL or PostGres, these are
(perhaps) easily come by.

For the mainstream relational databases on other platforms--DB2, Oracle, Sybase--it's hard,
hard, hard.

To produce something that works uniformly and reliably across multiple types of databases and
multiple platforms seems even more difficult.