. Python 2.1 function attributes

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 30 03:41:02 EST 2001

"Moshe Zadka" <moshez at zadka.site.co.il> wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2001 16:43:13 +0100, "Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> > It _does_ interestingly contradict Guido's posts at the time,
> > requesting _arguments_ (NOT "experiences") -- which, to me and I
> > guess to other respondents, implied that the requested arguments
> > *would* have a bit to do with something; I'm less surprised, now
> > that I hear this, that said arguments mattered not a whit.
>
> Alex, your hatred for print>> has caused you to rewrite history<wink>.
> Guido asked for "arguments, not votes".

...and then proceeded to dismiss the arguments he had requested, in
a rather unconvincing way, not even answering all of the "first round"
of them, much less any responses to his first answers.  Where is
the 'history-rewriting' in this?  I got the impression at the time
that his mind was already made up -- now, hearing confirmation that
it WAS thus made up (through his own personal experience) makes it
all fit together pretty well (I'm left to wonder why he bothered to
even try to give the appearance that arguments might matter).

> Experience with using a feature
> certainly counts as an argument -- experience with not using it does not,
> however. Life is horribly asymmetric <0.7 wink>

Oh really?  Let's hear some arguments about voluntarily cutting off
your left foot, then... do you REALLY believe that somebody having
chosen such a peculiar course of action "counts as an argument"?!
If such logic as you're now using for these rationalizations did in
fact rule our actions, we'd all be hopping along on one foot.

Take Stackless, for example.  Have you ever heard arguments against
it from anybody WITH experience using it?  So, IF "arguments from
experience" were indeed decisive, *WHY* isn't it in the core?

Alex