Using Python SSL

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Sat Jan 13 09:04:54 EST 2001

Gavin Cooper wrote:

> I've figured out that my client does
> indeed work, but my server does not. s_client ends with this error
> trying to connect to the Python SSL "server":
>
> 3722:error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown
> protocol:s23_clnt.c:460:

Hmm, this maybe means that s_client tries to negotiate SSLv3 but the
server does not have or allow it.

Try fiddling with the following options of openssl s_client:
 -ssl2         - just use SSLv2
 -ssl3         - just use SSLv3
 -tls1         - just use TLSv1
 -no_tls1/-no_ssl3/-no_ssl2 - turn off that protocol

You have to define somewhere on your server side which SSL versions
are accepted. Please keep us informed. I'm very much interested in
seeing a SSL server example. (I'm currently using M2Crypto for
that.)

Ciao, Michael.