SpecFuncs Module

Johannes Nix jnix at medi.physik.uni-oldenburg.de
Wed Jan 10 13:06:11 EST 2001

Hi,

I need an implementation of the Modified Bessel Function to calculate
the van Mises distribution function, a statistical distribution for
circular data.

I remember that there is a SpecFuncs Module from
Travis Oliphant, which seems to be a wrapper for the
Netlib cephesmodule.

However, Travis' page at http://oliphant.netpedia.net was not
reachable in the last few days. Could somebody point me to a mirror
site, or perhaps someone has the module and is willing to send it to
me ?  (But please, mail me before!).

Another question, is there a repository for mathematical code
additionally to vaults of parnassus? Many numerical routines are
rather small, but need considerable testing and / or literature
research. It would be quite interesting to gather mathematical Python
code. In this point, Python users could learn from MathWorks, Matlab's
vendors: They follow Open Source models and gather
contributions. (While the Matlab core remains to be a quite expensive
product.) I think the Python Culture (and the language features, of
course) is probably better suited for the interests of academic
research. I believe most researchers won't have any problems in
planning their software such that general numeric routines can be cut
out and shared.

kind regards,

Johannes Nix

jnix at medi.physik.uni-oldenburg.de