Tkinter vs wxPython: your opinions?

Greg Landrum glandrum at my-deja.com
Fri Jan 26 10:03:43 EST 2001

In article <3A7135C8.38D65D34 at proceryon.at>,
  Horst Gassner <horst at proceryon.at> wrote:

> At the moment I am in the situation where I have to decide if we stick
> on Tkinter or if we should change to wxPython. I am using Tkinter/Pmw
> for almost 8 month and the following points are the one which I
dislike
> most:
> - no table widget/grid (I made my own but it _is_ like a nightmare)

:-S

> - no tree widget (I used a simple one which is freely available and
made
> some extensions)

I thought about mentioning the tree widget, but I wasn't sure if my
memory that Tkinter didn't have a good one was correct.

> - speed (canvas widgets are very powerful but unfortunately slow)
>
> The last point is the most important one. I am happy with my table and
> tree widget regarding to there functionality but the performance is a
> big drawback. And speed is the reason why I think about wxPython more
> and more.

If you can't try Tkinter 3000, you might want to spend some time in the
profiler trying to figure out where your Tkinter code is spending
its time.  As I said in my original post, it is possible to get dramatic
drawing speed improvements if your data is structured properly.

The first part of this old message:
http://x54.deja.com/getdoc.xp?
AN=484767422&CONTEXT=980521245.1630535743&hitnum=15
has an example.

> Tkinter 3000 raised my hopes because it should be 2-10 times faster in
> "a typical application". But when will the first final release be
> available? How much is the perfomance boost for canvas widgets (I use
> them in my table and tree widget)?

Can't you just try it out?  (Note: I haven't looked much at Tkinter 3K,
so I don't know how easy it is to "just try it out").

-greg

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/