Python vs. PHP (& Java?)

Moshe Zadka moshez at zadka.site.co.il
Fri Jan 5 20:44:09 EST 2001

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, "Ben Ocean" <zope at TheWebsons.com> wrote:

> PHP is a hacker's language.

I'm not sure how you define a hacker. I like to consider myself a hacker,
or at least an aspiring hacker. And PHP is *definitely* not my language.
Or are you saying that PHP is a quick hack? That's something different,
but I'm not sure I'd agree with -- although I agree that less design
seems to poured into PHP then Python.

> Why else would GNU choose Python to write
> Mailman

I'm not sure it was GNU who chose mailman as much as Barry who was
kind enough to assign the FSF the mailman copyrights. Mind you,
I think that Mailman is a wonderful program, and a testimony
to the fact that Python can be used to program large applications.

> It's clean code: the opposite of a hacker's language.

ESR says that Python is a good language to start hacking with. This
is one of the few subjects on which we agree.

> I may still have to learn Java because it's robust

I'm not sure I agree with this claim: in my experience, Python is just
as robust as Java. Or are you using a definition of robust other then
"crashes very little".

--
Moshe Zadka <sig at zadka.site.co.il>
This is a signature anti-virus.