Python vs. PHP (& Java?)

Barry A. Warsaw barry at digicool.com
Fri Jan 5 14:23:11 EST 2001

    >> Why else would GNU choose Python to write Mailman

    MZ> I'm not sure it was GNU who chose mailman as much as Barry who
    MZ> was kind enough to assign the FSF the mailman copyrights. Mind
    MZ> you, I think that Mailman is a wonderful program, and a
    MZ> testimony to the fact that Python can be used to program large
    MZ> applications.

Actually it was John Viega (Mailman's original author) who GPL'd
Mailman and assigned the Mailman copyrights to the FSF (with maybe a
little urging from some unnamed troublemakers <wink>).  Both were
prerequisites to getting the "GNU" stamp on Mailman.  The FSF had
looked at Majordomo and other MLMs and deemed none of them to be
"free"-enough given the FSF's definition of "free".  Personally, I
think the GPL is perfectly suited for Mailman.

I couldn't agree more with Moshe about Python's suitability for large
programs.  These days, about the only time I /don't/ program in Python
is when I'm hacking on CPython's core. :)

-Barry