python compiled to native in less than a year?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 16 09:08:56 EST 2001

"jason petrone" <jp at NOSPAMdemonseed.net> wrote in message
news:n7vv39.r1f.ln at demonseed.net...
> Giuseppe Bilotta <oblomov at freemail.it> wrote:
>
> > Knowing M$, at least one of the following will hold :
>
> > 1) M$ will not cleanly document IL, making it almost impossible to know
it
> > appor priately;
>
> Actually, the IL documentation is pretty good.  Assuming the MS
implementation
> of it follows the specification, this won't be a problem.

Do you have an URL for non-microsoft sites with the IL docs, please?

> > 2) M$ will patent IL, so royalties will have to be paid for its use
(aka:
> > bye-by e, Free Software)
>
> Right now MS is trying(along with HP) to get IL accepted by a standards
> commitee, though I forget which one.  If this happens, there won't be a
patent
> problem.  However, MS also tried to put ASF on the standards track, but
gave
> up and went the patent route instead, so who knows.

What's ASF?  Also, _are_ patents incompatible with standards?  I thought,
for example, the MPEG group did standardize on a patent-covered format for
the now-very-popular MP3 files, and indeed some German public-sector body
is now trying to cash in on the patent they hold.  So what might stop MS
from getting a patent _after_ some standards group (ECMA maybe?) blesses
their IL.  Not trying to fuel paranoia -- I'd *love* it if a standard did
emerge for a bytecode such as IL -- just trying to understand...

Alex