python compiled to native in less than a year?

jason petrone jp at NOSPAMdemonseed.net
Mon Jan 15 17:56:55 EST 2001

Giuseppe Bilotta <oblomov at freemail.it> wrote:

> Knowing M$, at least one of the following will hold :

> 1) M$ will not cleanly document IL, making it almost impossible to know it
> appor priately;

Actually, the IL documentation is pretty good.  Assuming the MS implementation
of it follows the specification, this won't be a problem.

> 2) M$ will patent IL, so royalties will have to be paid for its use (aka:
> bye-by e, Free Software)

Right now MS is trying(along with HP) to get IL accepted by a standards
commitee, though I forget which one.  If this happens, there won't be a patent
problem.  However, MS also tried to put ASF on the standards track, but gave
up and went the patent route instead, so who knows.

-jason