web application environments [was: Migrating to perl?]

Neil Schemenauer nas at arctrix.com
Fri Jan 5 18:37:20 EST 2001

On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 02:13:59AM +0200, Moshe Zadka wrote:
> The big problem with Mason's approach (I use it all the time at work) is
> that is a preprocessing tool, rather then a compiler. That means syntax
> error crop up in the *compiled* Perl code, which has no relation to
> the original Mason code where you made the error. I spent 30 minutes
> yesterday finding out where I had an extra curly brace.

This is how Quixote's template language, PTL, used to work.
Debugging template code was a pain in the ass.  Now that PTL
modules are compiled and executed by the Python bytecode
interpreter life is much nicer.  Tracebacks are cool.  I can't
imagine doing a sophisticated web application the old way.  Then
again, I'm biased. :)

   Neil