python compiled to native in less than a year?

Robert Amesz rcameszREMOVETHIS at dds.removethistoo.nl
Wed Jan 17 11:07:54 EST 2001

Steve Holden wrote:

>I suspect that disclosure through the standardization process would
>cause patent applications to fail onthe grounds of "prior art".
>Apparently Arthur C. Clark described the geosynchronous satellite in
>concept in the British magazine "Wireless World", and this was
>enough to ensure that he was refused a patent on it later.

That's not entirely true: A.C. Clarke never applied for a patent at
least according to him. In a book of his (I can't recall which one) he
described a conversation he had with a patent lawyer (during a social
event, IIRC). The lawyer told him that he should have applied for a
patent *before* making his idea public. However, in this case that
wouldn't have made any difference, because Clarke had the idea roughly
a quarter of a century before the first geosynchronous satellite was
launched, so the patent would have expired anyway.

So be warned: don't get too far ahead of your time. It'll cost you.

Robert Amesz