[Off topic] allowed to put Python material on the Web?

Hans & Mari hnowak at cuci.nl
Sat Jan 27 17:20:22 EST 2001

On 27 Jan 01, at 17:51, Daniel wrote:

> Dear newgroupreaders,
>
> As a Python newbie, I've been collecting lots of questions and answers
> from this newsgroup.  It contains stuff not readily found in the many
> good FAQ from the net.
>
> Before setting up a new site, I would like to ask if it is allowed to
> put my collection of questions and answers from this newsgroup (which
> helped me a lot) on my site,so everyone can enjoy/learn from it
> without going to the déjà palace.

> Thus, before starting the time-consuming task to create this new site,
> I'd like to know if putting this collection on the Web is actually
> legal/allowed.

I had a similar site; because of lack of time, I stopped maintaining it.
All my snippets went to the Python knowledge base/FAQTS
(http://python.faqts.com). Before you go to the trouble of setting up a new
site from scratch, it may be good to look at this FAQTS site. Maybe you
would want to contribute to it rather than setting up and maintaining your
own site, but that is just a suggestion.

As for the legal stuff, I always assumed that I could freely dig into
newsgroup messages for interesting code. This may or may not be right;
nobody has complained about it, though, and I had quite a few authors in my
collection. I did include the name of the original poster/author with each
snippet, so it would be clear who held the copyright to the code.

HTH,

--Hans Nowak (zephyrfalcon at hvision.nl)
You call me a masterless man. You are wrong. I am my own master.
May Grandma Moses introduce Tipper Gore to your owl's nest!