newbie question: table-like data

Simon Brunning SBrunning at trisystems.co.uk
Thu Jan 25 04:54:33 EST 2001

> From:	gbell at uclink.berkeley.edu [SMTP:gbell at uclink.berkeley.edu]
> Question: is there a customary way to create, manipulate &
> query database tables in Python? Is there a module that does this?

Two ways, really. There is an RDBMS built entirely in native Python -
Gadfly. (See <http://www.chordate.com/kwParsing/gadfly.html>.)  It's fast,
but doesn't support advanced features like transactions and nulls. Also. it
doesn't scale well, either for multiple users or large tables.

Alternatively, you could hold your data in one of the many 3rd party RDBMSs
for which Python Modules are available. See
<http://www.python.org/topics/database/> for a list of these.

I myself use mxODBC from <http://www.lemburg.com/files/python/>. It allows
you to access any database for which you have an ODBC driver. For example, I
tend to prototype using M$ Access, and keep production data on an AS/400.
(If you are intending to distribute your program, look out for the license
restrictions on mxODBC.)

Have fun!

Cheers,
Simon Brunning
TriSystems Ltd.
sbrunning at trisystems.co.uk
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can
solve them. - Isaac Asimov