Tabbing/Spaces

Martin Sandin msandin at remove_this.hotmail.com
Sun Jan 21 06:57:38 EST 2001

I'm sorry for originally _mailing_ this answer to Tim Peters at first. What
happens if you hit the wrong button in your news reader. Me bad.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Peters" <tim.one at home.com>
> I assume you're using a supernaturally feeble editor, then.  That's fine!
> What you do in your own bedroom with the lights off isn't our concern.
> Well, at least not yet -- now that Guido is married, I hear he's thinking
> about guiding people in more aspects of their lives <wink>.

Well. The editor I use can turn tabs into spaces, no problem there. The
reason to use tabs is mainly the opposit, I have to hit "delete" four times
to move it _back_ one indent level (and I don't have to learn a special case
for deleting indent levels, as a macro would be). With spaces I can also
place the cursor on all the spaces in between indendation levels which makes
moving the cursor around with the cursor keys slower as I have lot of
"unnecessary" positions to place it in. As a last point it's also easier for
someone else to change how they want my indented code to look as they can
just change the tab length. Not so easy with spaces;-)

And if I was actually working with individuals who didn't think those were
adequate reasons, I guess I could easily add a couple of macros to my editor
to turn tabs into spaces and the other way around when I get the code
back... as the editor I use does support regexps=)

Point taken. But I must protest if you think of my bedroom practises as
"dirty" as I've got rational reasons for them. How many people today are
actually using editors that _lack_ the ability to change how long a tab is?
Now that's a feeble editor in my mind =)

-
Martin - yours friendly, and humbly lowly as a Python newbie, uhm-ly
come.to/vague