Tabbing/Spaces

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Sat Jan 20 18:38:54 EST 2001

[Johann Hibschman]
> My mistake.  I just recently upgraded my python-mode, and
> hadn't noticed the change, since I (setq indent-tabs-mode nil)
> in my .emacs.  Thanks for the info; it's good to see
> python-mode is sane.  :-)

[Barry A. Warsaw]
> T'was my primary goal after taking it over from the Timbot!

T'was my primary goal before push^H^H^H^Hhanding it off to you!  While Guido
has always been platform-neutral in theory, in practice he was undetectably
Unix-centric at the start ("undetectably" == I was using Unix too at the
time so didn't notice <wink>), and insisted on keeping the default indent
offset at 8 in pymode.  So every time I released a new pymode, I added a
note in the intro urging people to change the dumbass default themself
<wink>.  As some other heretic here recently mentioned, the Style Guide
still urges mixing tabs and spaces, dating from the later time when he was
overcome by the wisdom of 4-column indents, but still didn't really
*believe*-- not in his guts --that any system treated tab chars as anything
other than 8-column stops.  Indeed, "8" is still hardcoded in Python's
parser.  I'm told that's why Microsoft broke Windows tradition and hardcoded
8 into Notepad too ...

some-days-even-i-can't-tell-when-i'm-lying-ly y'rs  - tim