CHECK_IMPORT_CASE

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Thu Jan 25 23:01:41 EST 2001

[posted & mailed]

[Steven D. Majewski]
> While looking for a way to solve the macosx case insensitivity import
> problem, I found in Python/import.c:

Sorry, but import.c is not a universal constant; i.e., unless we know which
version of the source code you're looking at, there's little more to be
said.

> #ifdef CHECK_IMPORT_CASE
> static int check_case(char *, int, int, char *);
> #endif
>
> However, neither I nor the linker could find the implementation
> of check_case. Is this a work in progress ? Does someone have
> a planned solution?

Since it's declared static, the only place worth looking is again in
import.c.  In the current CVS version, there are three implementations of
check_case in import.c, under assorted #ifdef branches.  Look again:  you'll
find it <wink>.

> [ And more generally, how would one find this sort of info?
>  SourceForge has a search function for Bugs, but not for patches.
>  I tried pulling down the cvs (instead of starting from the
>  2.1a1 distribution) and doing a 'cvs ...  history' , which
>  just hangs on me. ]

Remote CVS to SourceForge works fine "even on Windows", but can be tricky to
get working the first time.  Detailed instructions here:

    http://python.sourceforge.net/sf-faq.html

A search box for patches is a feature request SF is well aware of.