Interacting with a spawned ssh session?

Steven M. Castellotti scastell at sas.upenn.edu
Tue Jan 16 09:30:33 EST 2001

Chris Watson wrote:

> WARNING! WARNING! DANGER WILL ROBINSON! DANGER!
>
> This is a SERIOUS design flaw. Do not do this. Use rsa keys. Unless you
> don't care about security. But you are using ssh so I assume you do.
>
> Im sure someone will tell you exactly how to manipulate a running process.
> But PLEASE use rsa keys for ssh and not passwords.

	Don't worry, I know better than putting passwords for ssh sessions into
the source code. What I'm actually trying to do is write a graphical
wrapper to ssh/scp, which first establishes an ssh session (which will
provide remote directory listings and whatnot), and then feeds queued-up
transfer requests into individual scp connections.

	True, the password will be stored plaintext in memory, and there will
be no way to ever consider this program "truly" secure, but I'm hoping
to use it to get a few of my users off of ftp, which will at least
increase security in general.

--
Steve Castellotti
Systems Programmer