[Off topic] allowed to put Python material on the Web?

Jason Cunliffe jasonic at nomadicsltd.com
Sat Jan 27 19:57:31 EST 2001

I have been wondering about this too, as I have many links+research, which
people have been encouraging me to put up on a web site. Now planning to do
this [with Zope] so clarification is welcome..

As I understand it the key issues here are:

1. Right to copy the content and re-publish
Just _linking_ to existing content presumably does not require any
permission, though it may be a reasonable courtesy.

2. Right to make editorial changes to previously posted material.

3. The wisdom of pooling resources and contributing to common archives.
It makes sense in many instances to do both. ie: contribute all one can to a
recognized common site
{'The Vaults of Parnassus', python.faqts.com}, but also maintain more
personal, focused site with particular links and documents relevant to one's
focus. This allows one to keep a more logical 'readable' thread of interest.
But include a link to the public site for those who want to search more
widely.

For any of the above, what happens when one switches medium, for example to
publish a book? Do newsgroup posts and or e-mails demand news permissions?

any ideas
- Jason
Jason CUNLIFFE = NOMADICS['Interactive Art and Technology']

Hans & Mari <hnowak at cuci.nl> wrote in message

On 27 Jan 01, at 17:51, Daniel wrote:

> Dear newgroupreaders,
>
> As a Python newbie, I've been collecting lots of questions and answers
> from this newsgroup.  It contains stuff not readily found in the many
> good FAQ from the net.
>
> Before setting up a new site, I would like to ask if it is allowed to
> put my collection of questions and answers from this newsgroup (which
> helped me a lot) on my site,so everyone can enjoy/learn from it
> without going to the déjà palace.

> Thus, before starting the time-consuming task to create this new site,
> I'd like to know if putting this collection on the Web is actually
> legal/allowed.

I had a similar site; because of lack of time, I stopped maintaining it.
All my snippets went to the Python knowledge base/FAQTS
(http://python.faqts.com). Before you go to the trouble of setting up a new
site from scratch, it may be good to look at this FAQTS site. Maybe you
would want to contribute to it rather than setting up and maintaining your
own site, but that is just a suggestion.

As for the legal stuff, I always assumed that I could freely dig into
newsgroup messages for interesting code. This may or may not be right;
nobody has complained about it, though, and I had quite a few authors in my
collection. I did include the name of the original poster/author with each
snippet, so it would be clear who held the copyright to the code.

HTH,

--Hans Nowak (zephyrfalcon at hvision.nl)
You call me a masterless man. You are wrong. I am my own master.
May Grandma Moses introduce Tipper Gore to your owl's nest!