Swalow vs. Swallow

Nathan Gray n8gray at caltech.edu.is.my.e-mail.address
Wed Feb 28 15:46:53 EST 2001

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> So we were joking around relating to the name "Python Spihon" (and how
> searching on the web turns up hits for an aquarium water changer), and
> suggested that we should use "gpw" (a random password generation tool)
> to generate a unique name for the CPAN-like project.  It uses english
> letter combinations to generate random strings that sound like english
> words.
>
> So, Rob Riggs did just that and came up with "swalow":
>
>> Your suggestion set me out to playing with gpw, having it generate
>> 6-byte names, and it spat out "swalow".
>>
>> Swallow -- close enough to siphon (in one of its meanings), and with
>> a memorable Monty Python reference:
>>
>> "What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?"
>> "What do you mean? An African or European swallow?"
>>
>> Of course this means we can have two versions of Swallow ;-)
>>
>> And it continues to feed on that snake image... what else does one
>> envision a python doing with its meal?
>>
>> And I really like the command-line implications
>> # swallow PIL
>

> I actually like the name "swalow" (with a single "l"), and searching for
> "python swalow" on Google turns up like 4 pages...  So, that's the name
> I'm using for my part of the work -- the server that hands out information
> about packages.

So shouldn't the server-side be "regurgitate"?

+1 on swallow -- Monty Python reference good.  Mixed Monty Python/snake
                   reference too good to pass up!
-1 on swalow  -- looks like a script-kiddie mispeling, and I can't help but
                   pronounce it "sway-low".

How about pySwallow or py_swallow?

I wouldn't worry too much about google searches.  Once the sofware
starts being used the site will percolate to the top.  Try doing a
search for "python" and see what site comes up first.  ;-)

My .02 on the only issue of _real_ importance in this whole CPyAN
debate.  The rest is just implementation details.  ;-)
--
               Nathaniel Gray