What to do after Python?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 11:10:33 EST 2001

"Kenneth Loafman" <ken at lt.com> wrote in message
    [snip]
> > Not using 'std::string' in C++ is analogous to not using the built-in
string
> > type in Python.
>
> They were using CString under M$VC.  I don't think std::string existst
> on the M$ compilers.  Would make it too easy to port to the heathen UNIX
> boxen <grin>.

Microsoft Visual C++ implements std::string (and the rest of std::) since
release 5.0 (or earlier... I think I remember it being in some late 4.???).

MS bought the implementation provided by P.J.Plauger's company
("dinkumware",
I think I recall).  They don't distribute later bugfixes, that Plauger and
friends made after Microsoft released, but those can be downloaded at the
dinkumware site.

At some point in time, MS also supported (indirectly, through another
smaller company -- "Mainsoft", perhaps?) an MFC version that also made
it possible (if not "easy") to port MFC applications from Win/MSVC++
directly to Unix/proprietary C++ compilers of various Unix box suppliers
(HP, IBM, Dec, and Sun, at least; those were the ones we tried -- and
that's when I learned that Microsoft's C++ was *MUCH* cleaner, and far
closer to the standard, than _many_ other proprietary C++ compilers by
various other operating system vendors -- before then, the only C++
compiler I had used on Unix and Unix-like boxes was gcc, but that was
not supported by 'mainsoft' [if that's the right name]).

Alex