What to do after Python?

Christian Tanzer tanzer at swing.co.at
Mon Feb 19 03:07:10 EST 2001

Sheila King <sheila at spamcop.net> wrote:

> I must say, that I am shocked at the number of apparent *groans* over C++
> language, in this thread.
>
> I teach C++ as a first programming language to high school students, via the
> AP Computer Science Curriculum. (The course I teach is supposed to be
> equivalent to a first semester University course for CS majors.) I think that
> the trick, is to use a carefully selected subset of the C++ language.

I think you are missing at least two issues:

- The carefully selected subset isn't going to help your students much
  when they have to start reading/extending other people's code.

- In C++, there are so many low-level issues the programmer has to
  take care of that it distracts from the problem to be solved -- not
  very helpful for learning how to program.

--
Christian Tanzer                                         tanzer at swing.co.at
Glasauergasse 32                                       Tel: +43 1 876 62 36