CPAN functionality for python

Toby Dickenson mbel44 at dial.pipex.net
Thu Feb 15 06:09:35 EST 2001

"Richard Waid" <richard at iopen.co.nz> wrote:

>Has anyone mentioned using XMLRPC to transfer the metadata and requests
>around? It would be trivial to leverage that feature with Zope. The
>actual transfers could be done out-of-band, using ordinary FTP or HTTP.

XMLRPC method calls cant be cached by http proxy caches, which is a
serious disadvantage for metadata and content alike.

The requests that you propose passing around by XMLRPC are largely of
the 'has x changed since I last looked' variety, which is exactly what
http caches are designed to handle. It would be a shame if we couldnt
exploit them.

HTTP GET is your friend.

Toby Dickenson
tdickenson at geminidataloggers.com