Programming Habits in Python

Anton Sherwood anton at home.ogre.nu
Sat Feb 24 01:06:16 EST 2001

: Remco Gerlich wrote
: > If you had some idea of bad habits caused by Python,
: > please elaborate. Any examples you've noticed?

at 23 Nov 2000 14:39:50 +0100,
Vetle Roeim <vr at acm.org> writes

: I have some examples: [...]
:  2) space-oriented blocks.
:     it takes a while to discover that no matter how many spaces
:     you include or omit, your C++ code simply won't compile.

Heh.  My first programming language, circa 1973, was TUTOR,
which looks like this:

	unit	foo	$$ function label
	calc	y:=200	$$ assignment
	do	spam	$$ function call
	if	x < 150
	.	do	larch
	.	calc	x := 2x 	$$ implicit mult!
	else
	.	do	annelk
	endif

My second was FORTRAN, in which the first six columns (iirc)
are reserved for labels, and the next for a continuation mark.

I don't recall blundering by expecting indentation to be meaningful
in Pascal or C; nor, conversely, do I find it hard to do in Python.

--
Anton Sherwood  --  br0nt0 at p0b0x.com  --  http://ogre.nu/