Drew's sslserv support into 2.1?

Bryan Mongeau bryan at eevolved.com
Tue Feb 20 05:48:54 EST 2001

lorenzo at sancho.ccd.uniroma2.it wrote:

> On Sep 22, 2000 Drew Csillag posted a patch adding an sslserver
> object to the socket module. Since it could be (very) useful, even
> though we all know about the shortcomings of such basic support
> when confronted with a complete support such as that which could
> come from a real SSL module, I hope the patch would not be forgot,
> and get in before 2.1 beta/freeze.
>
> A nice time to all of the readers.
>
> Lorenzo

Hi Lorenzo,

I am unfamiliar with the patch you mention. However, if it is anything like
Brian Gallew's patch for 2.0, it is based on OpenSSL/SSLeay. Granted the
functionality is nice, but do all users want to include such a large
external library?  Weigh the price of the code bloat vs. the amount of
people that will actually use it and I'm sure you'll conclude its status as
a patch is justified. Additionally, SSL socket support is already a trivial
matter with extensions like amkCrypto and M2Crypto.  Not to mention export
restrictions should it be incorporated into the code.

However, I would like to take a look at it. Do you have a link?

Regards,
--
Bryan Mongeau

"Scientific beliefs are supported by evidence, and they get results. Myths
and faiths are not and do not" -- Richard Dawkins