Using Python for Web development

Steve Purcell stephen_purcell at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 11 07:28:22 EST 2001

billy_bill_1 at my-deja.com wrote:
> I'm new to Python and so far I like what I see!

Then you are a wise and discerning soul.

> I would really like to
> use it for web development as I'm currently using PHP and ASP and I'm a
> bit sick of thier lack of good OO support and the c style syntax etc
> etc (especially php).  PHP can be used as an apache module, can python
> be used in this way too?  I don't want to have to deal with any of the
> header information stuff as well like in PERL cgi scripts.  Any links
> or information anyone can give me to get me on my way?

Some things that spring to mind:

 * Zope
      An entire web development and content management platform written in
      and customisable with Python.
      See http://www.zope.org/

 * 'cgi' module:
      Undoubtedly nicer than the Perl equivalent.
      See http://www.python.org/doc/lib/module-cgi.html

 * WebWare:
      Server-side utilities, framework and templating tools for Python
      See http://webware.sourceforge.net/

 * PSP (Python server pages)
      ASP equivalent for Python
      See http://www.ciobriefings.com/psp/

 * Quixote
      "Yet Another framework for developing Web applications in Python"
      See http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/python/quixote/

Cameron Laird has an excellent and more complete collection of alternatives
catalogued at

  http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/comp.lang.python/web_python.html

Hope that helps,

-Steve