CPAN functionality for python

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Feb 15 18:52:34 EST 2001

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 12:49:35PM +0000, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>I don't follow that at all.  To support mirrors, the data needs to be
>replicated from one server to another. That problem exists
>independant of any tool.

I'd recommend that the catalog be exported to the primary mirror so that other
mirrors can pick it up using the normal FTP mirroring (possibly from a mirror
that doesn't have the cataloging software running on it.

What about dealing with partial mirrors?  It would be nice to be able to
take advantage of places that, say, only mirror the *LATEST* version of
the packages becuase of space constraints.  I see the catalog and the
actual file contents being two very distinct things, and that they don't
necessarily need to be placed on the same machine.

What about storing the md5sum of the file to help ensure that you've gotten
the whole file and it (hopefully) hasn't been tampered with?

Sean
--
 I'd rather write programs to write programs than write programs.
                 -- Dick Sites