import statement is case sensitive

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Thu Feb 22 11:39:21 EST 2001

Thu, 22 Feb 2001 09:56:06 +0100, Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> pisze:

> I consider it a similar bug (and Windows and Mac share it with Unix)
> to allow spaces, tabs, and other whitespace characters in filenames,
> by the way.  The driving idea behind all such things is, I guess,
> to make it possible for the user to name his or her file as he/she
> wants, with entire sentences, etc; I do NOT like this, I'd rather
> see filenames as "identifiers" for the files.

Actually the Unix tradition is to use mostly identifier-like filenames,
despite the fact that all characters but '\0' and '/' are legal,
and that filenames can be passed to programs intact (command line
arguments are physically passed separately, not split by applications
themselves as in DOS/Windows, and quoting filenames with spaces is
only the shell's business).

Since Windows "invented" long filenames in 1995 with a new set of
rules which characters are legal and lots of backwards compatibility
headaches wrt. charsets and case in short and long filenames, in
practice it and its programs really make use of spaces and other
characters in filenames.

--
 __("<  Marcin Kowalczyk * qrczak at knm.org.pl http://qrczak.ids.net.pl/
 \__/