Python 2 for Debian?

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Wed Feb 28 13:02:48 EST 2001

[Remco Gerlich[
> But Python 1.6.1 was released recently, with a GPL compatible license.

Please read the note in italics at the referenced link:

> http://www.python.org/1.6.1/

The FSF says 1.6.1's is *not* a GPL-compatible license, but is a necessary
step on the road to releasing a Python with a license that is GPL-compatible.
I don't understand what that means either.  You can read the license text and
guess for yourself:

    http://www.handle.net/python_licenses/python1.6.1-2-23-01.html

Clause 7 is where the Deep Magic lives; we're waiting for a clarification
about what this actually means.

or-is-claimed-to-mean-anyway-ly y'rs  - tim