CPAN functionality for python

Doug Hellmann doughellmann at home.com
Tue Feb 13 19:31:47 EST 2001

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Oleg Broytmann wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Jeremy Hylton wrote:
> > I think you skipped my very first suggestion -- to use some simple
> > data format to support exchange between a Zope-based solution and
> > other solutions.
>
>    Ok, so we should create formats and protocols and reference
> implementations. Zope can be use for one of such reference implementations,
> but we must have other implementations as well.

Sure, why not.  We could build the initial application very quickly using Zope,
though, so I suggest starting there.

We need a name for this project, and we need to start working out actual
requirements.

What meta data do we need to store for a module?

What formats are going to be supported (tgz, rpm, zip, etc.)?

Who hosts the modules?  Is it sufficient to provide a URL to the module when
registering the module, or does it have to be uploaded to a server
participating in the module-sharing-network?

Doug